Thursday 2 April 2015

Editing: Narrative decisions

Across the editing process, there has been one red flag, the footage is much longer than expected, which meant that the film lasts around ten minutes using all the footage I have shot so far. This means I had to be brutal when removing scenes that were unnecessary. The scene which I previously thought was dispensable but have decided to keep since  I have started editing is the scene where they hear the music without the killer. This scene establishes the signifier of sound and the audience will begin to associate the music with the killer, meaning that we know he was following them for a while.

A recent idea was to use static as a transition across clips that would cut to another scene, implying the clips are corrupted in places, a convention of many found footage films. This gives me the freedom to cut out parts of a clip shot from one camera that is unnecessary without the footage jumping and making it seem edited. This means the introductory scenes can be shortened and I can keep the necessary, character establishing parts within the film.

EDIT: I have filmed the scene in which Alice and Tracy discuss the legend of the King's Corpse, which in it's entirety lasts several minutes. This means I have to cut some scenes out. I have decided to scrap the entire introduction scenes of all the characters and start when they are on the way to the woods. Whilst I said this was essential earlier, without them, the film has a much darker narrative, as most of the comedy has been removed and the focus is more on the death and scary nature of the footage. I feel this will appeal to my target audience more as they will be more creeped out throughout the film and less comforted by the comedy.

There is a scene from the introduction sequence I have decided to use, but at the end. It is an extended clip of when Justin is talking to himself in the mirror, in which he talks about catching the ghost. This is a really effective ending as it shows his anticipation for  going into the woods and he seems to believe he is safe, he doesn't know the terrible fate that will come to him and this makes it a really effective ending. 

1 comment:

  1. STARTING TO PANIC - LOTS STILL TO DO
    ACTION
    1. start the evaluation and send me the link
    2 ancillary products?
    3. sort final posts - you always add others and change dates - order should be
    - eval link/embedd
    -final main production
    - ancillary 1
    - ancillary 2
    4 - email me if you need help - humplebye@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete