Tuesday 27 January 2015

Day 2: Justin's death

Today was the shooting of Trevor's death which consists of two scenes:

  1. Seeing Justin believe he had escaped, yet seeing the killer and realising he hasn't.
  2. Justin waking up from becoming unconscious and in some way, being killed.
Justin, Adam and I got together at 2 O'clock to film the scene which happens in the early hours of the morning to take advantage of the sunlight, we moved to the agreed location and shot two alternative endings. The first being a backup scene in which Trevor is dragged out of shot by the killer, ending the film with the certainty that he will die, but without seeing it. The second was the agreed death sequence, in which a camera is placed into his open chest and blood pours over the lens to end the film. I chose to film a backup scene as I was worried the chest may not look realistic or the blood may not work how I wanted it to. Sure enough, both of those issues did arise. Because of the light and the construction of the cavity, it did not look realistic, and the mechanism to spurt blood was way too slow, and you could clearly see it was a vessel designed for such a purpose. 

The backup scene was an ending that was suggested during my pitch on some of the feedback slips I had the group fill in. this was the most suggested death scene and that is why I chose it as the backup scene, in case the gory alternative didn't work. I am now quite happy that the footage didn't work out, as I find the scene to be more disturbing and the acting from Justin adds to the fear in a way that he couldn't with the other scene.

We then waited for the sun to go down to film the scene happening at night. We waited for the sky to get dark, but still having some light in the sky to suggest that time had passed. We filmed the scene, which took less than ten minutes and disbanded.

Joe was not able to make this shoot, so I was the only director. Whilst I was comfortable with this as I had directed some of the scenes, I was slightly nervous about directing on my own with professional actors so before the shoot, Justin gave me some general advice for directing people (as he directs for theatre) which helped me get comfortable in the role and I believe that I was able to get a great performance out of the two actors and they were extremely happy with how the shoot was handled. 


No comments:

Post a Comment